Heavy duty masonry pinning is now quick and easy with the Thor Helical long-series 12mm CD Wall Tie. The self-tapping, mechanical fix tie straps the perimeter wall of a building to walls running perpendicular to it to, adding strength and lateral restraint at masonry abutments.
It is common for the facade wall of a building to bow or buckle and to pull away at the corner of cracked or poorly bonded partition walls. Historically repairs have been made using right-angled batt-straps to reconnect brickwork at the weakened wall junctions. These strapping repairs, although effective, are highly intrusive and result in costly repair works to replace plaster and wall decorations.
In more recent times techniques have been developed for inserting cement-bonded reinforcement bars from the outside to reinforce wall-junctions. This technique eliminates the need for disruptive internal work and the associated re-decoration. However a cement/ grout system has several disadvantages in that it is slow, requires large ‘facade-defacing’ insertion holes, cannot be used in cold temperatures and should not be used where cement bonding agents create dissimilar material issues, such as will be the case with buildings having lime mortars.
To overcome this problem Thor Helical have designed and developed the twin-start 12mm diameter CD Tie for fixing facades to party walls or other separating partition walls from the outside of the building and without the use of bonding agents. The drive-in helical wall ties have diametrically opposed work-hardened blades that corkscrew into small pilot holes formed in the brick, block or stone when driven with an SDS hammer-drill and recessed drive adaptor. The tie grips the brickwork along the entire length of the helix to provide a mechanically fixed tension strap that reconnects and strengthens the masonry junction/ abutment.
What makes the Thor Helical 12mm strapping tie a cut above the rest?
- Suitable for heavy duty masonry pinning with no internal disruption
- No bonding agents required.
- Suitable for use in situations where cement grouts cause material compatibility issues
- Can be used in freezing temperatures
- High speed installation, typically 10 times faster than for cement-bonded reinforcement bars.
- Small 8mm entry hole for minimal disfiguration of masonry (10mm for engineering brick and the like)
- Patented precise pitch engineering delivers a two-start helix with unrivalled consistency and performance.
- Patented pinning system with unique tie-driving shank
- Patented SDS recessed setting tool is safe, reliable, easy to use and low cost
- CE marking according to BS EN 845-1 2013 and National Annex NA when used as a ‘Driven Strapping Tie’ (mean tensile load greater than 8kN at 215mm embedment).