Securing quoins and cornerstones to adjacent masonry walls is quick and easy using the Thor Helical concealed strapping tie system. Sturdy 12mm helical ties mechanically fix a building’s cornerstones and brick quoin corners, locking the quoins in place and adding strength to external intersections.
Quoin stones traditionally make up the external corners of large houses and public buildings. They are constructed in some cases to provide additional strength for a wall built with inferior material. In other cases, they make an architectural feature of a corner, creating an impression of durability and strength. Brick quoins typically appear on brick buildings in such a way as to give the appearance of prominent masonry blocks, whilst one can equally find stone quoins on both stone and brick buildings.
The layout of quoins creates a series of long vertical joints adjacent to the masonry of the adjoining walls, which facilitates differential movement. Thor Helical’s development of an effective and concealed method of securing unbonded quoins prevents the stones from becoming unstable, rotating or separating from the main walls.
Cornerstones can be fixed to adjacent masonry walls using a heavy-duty self-tapping helical tie rod driven through the quoin and deep into the masonry. 12mm heavy-duty tie rods are hammer-driven into the masonry via a small pilot hole. Due to the shape of the oversized helix, the two-start helical tie corkscrews into the masonry to provide a concealed mechanical interlock connection, securing the quoins in place and preventing rotation or separation.
What makes the Thor Helical 12mm tie a cut above the rest?
- Suitable for securing quoins at high speed
- Grout-free connection alleviates material compatibility issues and permits use in freezing temperatures.
- Small entry hole for concealing the repair
- Patented precise pitch engineering delivers a two-start helix with unrivalled pitch consistency and holding performance.
- Patented pinning system with unique tie-driving shank
- Safe, reliable, easy to use and low-cost SDS setting tool (patented)
- Thor Helical 12mm mechanical CD ties conform to conditions for CE marking according to BS EN 845-1 2013 and meeting the performance requirements for tensile load capacity of at least 8kN
Thor Helical 12mm mechanical CD ties have a tensile load capacity of at least 8kN