Thor Helical’s flexible timber frame wall ties conform to EN 845-1 and conditions for UKCA and CE marking. They also meet the requirements for a Type 6 tie for cavity widths ranging from 60mm up to 150mm
Timber Frame Wall Ties
Timber frame wall ties are flexible helical wall ties used in timber framed construction of new buildings up to 4 stories in height. The ties have a nominal diameter of 5mm and a tiny cross sectional area of just 6.25mm2, making them the most flexible helical wall tie on the market and ideal for coping with differential movement between the timber frame and the brick façade.
The stainless steel helical ties are driven 35mm into the uprights of the softwood timber frame where they cork-screw in to provide a secure connection. The other end of the tie is built into the brick wall, the continuous deep-trough helix ensuring a good key to the mortar and delivering multiple drip points across the cavity. The ties may be hammered in manually or with the aid of a rapid SDS setting tool.
Timber frame wall ties are supplied in cartons of 2500 pieces. They can be packed in distributor-supplied boxes in bespoke quantities.
- Suitable for wide cavities – up to 150mm.
- Copes with 24mm differential movement even in narrow cavities (60mm)
- Patented precise pitch engineering delivers a helix consistency with unrivalled performance.
- Thor Helical timber frame wall ties conform to BS EN 845-1 and conditions for CE marking according to Annex ZA.1. They also meet the requirements for a Type 6 tie for cavity widths ranging from 60mm up to 150mm.
The 5mm ø Thor Helical timber frame ties are manufactured from AISI304 Austenitic Stainless Steel. They are available in standard lengths of:
- 180mm ties for 75mm cavity
- 205mm ties for 100mm cavity
- 230mm ties for 125mm cavity
- 255mm ties for 150mm cavity
PERFORMANCE LOADS 60-150mm cavity (taken from CE Mark Testing)
|710N||460N||Type 6 Tie|
Loads taken at 24mm differential movement to reflect timber shrinkage
TYPICAL MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF THOR HELICAL TIMBER FRAME TIES
|0.2% Proof Stress||>880N/mm2|
|Ultimate Tensile Strength*||1025-1225N/mm2|
|Mean Tensile Capacity #||7kN|
* Ultimate Tensile Strength is measured within a calibrated tolerance of +/- 2%
# Mean Tensile Capacity is an indicative value derived from CSA x Mean UTS