Retrofit timber framed wall ties are thin helical wall ties used for wall tie replacement in timber framed buildings of up to 4 stories high. The ties have a nominal diameter of 5mm and a tiny cross sectional area of just 6.25mm2, making them the most flexible helical wall tie on the market. The flexibility is required to accommodate differential movement between the timber frame and the brick façade.
It is not uncommon for timber framed buildings to be constructed with insufficient or incorrectly fitted cavity wall ties. In such cases these retrofit stainless steel helical ties offer a simple an effective wall replacement tie solution.
To install the remedial timber framed ties the positions of the upright studs must be accurately determined. A clearance hole is then drilled through the outer leaf and the sarking board. The ties are loaded into an SDS-adapter and are driven 35-45mm into the uprights of the timber frame. They corkscrew into the wood provide a secure mechanical connection. The other end of the tie is resin-fixed to the brick wall, the continuous deep-trough helix ensuring a good key for the resin.
For fixing these stainless steel ties a 10mm SDS drill bits, blow pump, polyester or epoxy resin and an applicator gun is required
Remedial timber framed wall ties are supplied in cartons of 2500 pieces and packed in bags of 250 pieces. They can be packed in distributor-supplied boxes in bespoke quantities.
- Suitable for wide cavities – up to 150mm.
- Copes with 24mm differential movement even in narrow cavities (60mm)
- Patented precise pitch engineering delivers a helix consistency with unrivaled performance.
- Thor Helical timber frame wall ties conform to BS EN 845-1 and conditions for CE marking according to Annex ZA.1. They also meet the requirements for a Type 6 tie for cavity widths ranging from 60mm up to 150mm.
The 5mm ø retrofit timber frame wall ties are manufactured from AISI304 Austenitic Stainless Steel. They are available in standard lengths of:
- 205mm ties – 60-80mm cavity
- 230mm ties – 85-105mm cavity
- 255mm ties – 110-130mm cavity
For fixing these stainless steel ties ties you need a 10mm SDS drill bits, blow pump, polyester or epoxy resin & an applicator gun
PERFORMANCE LOADS 60-150mm cavity (taken from CE Mark Testing)
||Type 6 Tie
Loads taken at 24mm differential movement to reflect timber shrinkage
TYPICAL MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF THOR HELICAL TIMBER TIES
|0.2% Proof Stress
|Ultimate Tensile Strength*
|Mean Tensile Capacity #
* Ultimate Tensile Strength is measured within a calibrated tolerance of +/- 2%
# Mean Tensile Capacity is an indicative value derived from CSA x Mean UTS